Monday, July 03, 2006

Acrobatics (cross-posted on samizdat)

It is a sticky, smoldering day and I am at work. I offer no immediate
thesis. There are no handy axes needing a solid sharpening. Misty came
over yesterday and I would avoid that subject completely yet I decided
toe entertain by showing Underground on dvd. The seminal film by Emir
Kusterica is nearly incomprehensible outside of its historical context
and I did my best to coach along Ms. Costin while N came in
periodically to laugh at an exceptionally profound image. Why have I
broahcxed Balkan cinema, you may ask? Vollmann dedicates Europe Central
to the Yugoslav author Danilo Kis. It is strange how in the former
Yugoslavia each subsequent nation attempts to lay claim to various
literary and cultural figures.

I read Tomb for Boris Davidovich shortly after returning from London in
20002. It is s tunning little book, one which doesn't depict a single
sentence in Yugoslavia itslef but rather the anchors of empire broached
in Vollmann's tombish tome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home