Saturday, June 14, 2008

Sebald

It is indeed my intention to reread all of Sebald. My experiences with him proved varied, but I find that the culprit may be resolved as myself. There is an anguished ease about his writing, a breezy despair that ripples the reader to ponder influences and coincidences.

I have begun with Vertigo, which was actually his first novel and I recall having read it last and it felt tired compared to the imperial accomplishment of Rings of Saturn. That will be my second reading, followed by Austerlitz.

4 Comments:

Blogger jon faith said...

I awoke roughly, the paint fumes didn't exactly agree. Somehow through the groggy ache, the name Matthew Brady escaped. Somehow this conjectures Sebald.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Levi Stahl said...

I read Rings of Saturn about eight years ago and it didn't really work for me. But I've not been able to get Sebald out of my head; that, combined with the convincing praise of other trusted readers, has sent me back to him. I'll be giving him another try sometime this year.

9:05 AM  
Blogger edward parish said...

Research said novel and will likely see if the NAFC Library has it. I once started Rings of Saturn and could not mesh with the rythmn of the writing and put it away. Have gone a couple of days in between books, will see if this one can grasp my attention.
Thanks for the heads up...

5:12 PM  
Blogger jon faith said...

I finished Vertigo today, knuckling under the strain of the heat/paint fumes and hovering spectre of my father. I don't feel good at all, but Sebald has kept me engaged all day.

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home