Friday, April 06, 2012

The gasp of bad taste

The waves of the zeitgeist continue to undulate, often at my expense. My reading continues rampant as my desire to write sulks and atrophies: go figure? During our recent trip to Miami I visited the city's Holocaust memorial. I was moved. Despite having issues with the explicative essay chiseled into its marble wall; exclamation points don't contribute to exposition and who really believes the Wehrmacht to be as effective in 1944 as they were in 1940? Aside from that, the spatial sense of the memorial is haunting. Since that trip I have read The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman and The Lost: A Search for Six of Six Million by Daniel Mendelsohn. I was prepared to not appreciate both of these texts. I was in fact deeply moved despite these predispositions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home