Sunday, April 17, 2005

Spring Mill

My wife and I wnet to the State Park in Mitchell this morning and my thoughts curled back to the early fall of 1992 when I took my grandmother there for a picnic lunch of KFC and then we enjoyed the afternoon as I sat reading The Brothers Karamazov while she chainsmoked and browsed the paper. It was strange today to enjoy the sun and a lengthy hike only to retire to our books in the shade. This glyph of life is bent with penchant, so mercurial. I possessed a certain innocence that autumn, a time when the UN Embargo was making its presence felt in Belgrade,a time when Sarajevo was preparing for its second winter of siege. How naive I have been, how molified by opportunity! I recall the almost sacred splendor of Dostoevsky that season. I was so quick to absorb, to partake and I shudder to fear whatever posturing accompanied such.

I continue to read Seven Types of Ambiguity by Eliot Perlman. I originally associated with Danielewski's House of Leaves or A.L. Kennedy's Everything You Need, both are expositions of style, of exercise. This is astrange bed for me. I have since begun to recognize its similitude with The Corrections by Franzen.

1 Comments:

Blogger edward parish said...

We must have missed you there, had lunch at the Inn and strolled through the village in lue of our place of marriage on April 22,1989. Spring Mill is a majical place and is kept secret amongst most. Hope you and N enjoyed it.

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home