Monday, June 20, 2005

Call It Sleep

Finished this remarkable tome on Saturday and was floored by its energy, its language. Spoke to Harold on Sunday and told him of my recent reading. When informed that I read Blood Meridian and Suttree, he asked if I was sober.

Roth grips the reader in a similar fashion.

Against the piebald press of cloud in the craggy furrow of the west, a lone flag on top of a school-steeple blew out stiff as a key. In the shelter of a doorway across the gutter, a cluster of children shouted in monotone up at the sky: Rain, rain go away, come again some oddeh day. (124)

1 Comments:

Blogger edward parish said...

Monday evening was spent falling off the wagon, indulging in 5 Dogfish Head Aprihops in my garage since RichO's had no beer flowing from the taps due to ABC problems. My head this morning has that familar buzzing effect that I missed last week.

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home