Tuesday, February 07, 2006

This march of mine

Deep into my holiday, I have plunged through the first section of the Foote, some 420 pages and its progressed from the Red River through the cauldron call of the Forty Days and ended on the banks of the Chatahootchie. My own thoughts followed Sherman as he progresses towards Atlanta. My adoptive mother lived in Rome for most of my life and my sister and i used to visit during the summers, before we had any say in the affair. Backwater bigotry, baby. My fears reside now that such poison has infected my niece Jessica. She may read this blog, I am not sure. Tempering my vanity, the decision to replace Johnston with Hood appears so perfectly human, so political and vile. Is it any wonder that less than half of all Americans believe in evolution?

1 Comments:

Blogger The New Albanian said...

Johnston's replacement seemed inevitable for political reasons, and Foote certainly gives Joe little short shrift, but it's hard to argue with JJ's delaying tactics. When his opportunity came, he was let down by subordinates; bizarrely, the impetuous Hood missed a break or two that may have resulted in a victory over Sherman outside Atlanta.

The point to me is the immensity of the force behind the armies heading south. How were the Confederates going to defeat the 21st century (in logistical terms)?

In the end, they succeeded in winning substantial portions of the peacxe that followed, at least until the 1960s. And now ...

Perhaps the hardline Carthage approach was correct, after all.

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home