Thursday, July 06, 2006

Kadare and Handke

Have finished up a pair of loose threads as of late: Aladdin was completed and likely the Arabian Nights in total (for now) as well as a Chatwin piece on Werner Herzog in Ghana: anecdotal but intriguing, especially the ruminations on walking as philosophy. Slightly metaphysical, to be sure, but as I could imagine Herzog's accented speech, I remained both pleased and touched.

The title refers to the West's favorite Albanian (albeit expatriate) author and Austria's apologist for the Milosevic regime. My wife has noted that the literary set in Beograd considered Handke a dupe. I know that he has caused himself a great deal of grief by his public displays. Handke was interviewed in Sunday's NYT Magazine. Kadare's latest The Successor was avauilible yesterday at the library and i checked it out. I thought that Roger may have bought such earlier this year but I can't be certain. I hope to finish the (growing tirted) Waugh and begin the Vollmann with my mates this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home