Saturday, May 23, 2009

Under Weigh

One should consider me pleased with Joel's selection of Moby Dick for samizdat, though I fear that I'll be the only passenger on this particular voyage. That said, I am on holiday in Indiana, unlike my worthy friends in Copenhagen and Athens.

Ed is likewise polished to shove off and I was happy to collect a list for him. While doing such, i paused over Nabokov's biography of Gogol; what a splendid book! The introduction to Moby Dick states that Melville's favorite books were of the baggy variety, such as the works of Rabelais, Montaigne, Robert Burton and Thomas Browne. Personally, I consider the first three to rank amongst my own favorites, though I have never had the opportunity for Browne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home