Thursday, November 26, 2009

Soft Smells

I awoke early to place my Mexican barbecue in the oven and returned to bed. A few hours later the house was adrift if aroma of bountiful contentment. The espresso machine makes all matters sublime. I have begun reading the new Orhan Pamuk and am finding it a curious departure from my previous expectations, this one speaks less of intrigue or exile and more of madeleines.

Black beans were also placed in the crock put with chorizo. I hope Freud can plumb their depths of deliciousness. Speaking of the uncanny, I read Levi Stahl's post on the Lambs of London (btw I loved that book as well) the other day and then went to the library sale and found a copy of Ackroyd's The Last Testament of Oscar Wilde. I have desired that book for a few years now. It isn't exactly Umberto Eco finding his ghost book to complete his dissertation, but i find it satisfactory. Oh, the olfactory and the coincidental!

3 Comments:

Blogger edward parish said...

Heard his interview on NPR Tuesday and was reminded of how much I like him as an author. His approach to subject matter and story line from his part of the world are real good for me. He did set the record straight he is not one of the characters in the story. Diane Reeves grilled him over this and he stode toe to toe and explained why people will think it is him.

5:35 PM  
Blogger edward parish said...

That should have been stood...oops

5:36 PM  
Blogger Levi Stahl said...

I don't know the story of Eco's ghost book--what was he looking for?

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home