Thursday, February 25, 2010

Etgar Keret

There are only a few collections of stories that resound in my memory. Winesburg, Ohio and Dubliners are the most likely suspects. The Girl on the Fridge will likely enjoy such privileged company. There is a seamless sleepy exploration to all the pieces. I finished the collection just across the Indiana border on the drive back Tuesday.

A more surprising comment relates to Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh. I can't condemn it, though I do relish the trashing of a vaunted book. Snarkless, I am left to ponder. Did Ghosh consider the parallels between his planned trilogy and Pirates of the Caribbean? The anxiety of influence must still rule the day.

Opposed to most sequential groupings, I would hardly consider this a stand-alone read. Those prone to frustration should certainly avoid it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home