Saturday, April 16, 2011

Persuasion

Odd weather and untimely work currents again curtailed my week's reading. I just completed Austen's Persuasion and I was left under impressed. By now well aware of contrivances and paltry of plot devices, I have to admit I was expecting more, even if that measure remains undefined. Entering contests has never held any fascination for me. It was thus surprising that I spun the wheel this week on goodreads to win a reader's copy of The Pale King. It has to be admitted that I was then somewhat disappointed to discover yesterday that I didn't win. The within minutes I discovered that the Jeffersonville library was processing a copy, I called and the nice lady in the reference department said she would complete the process if I was on the way. I was and I told her she made me day. It is odd but I can't remember actually acquiring Infinite Jest.It was the summer of 1998 and I had actually taken Moby Dick with me on a work trip. I returned home that evening , suddenly, inexplicably, I was reading David Foster Wallace. Yesterday's venture doesn't strike me today as glamorous, my spirits have been dampened by Man U's departure from the FA Cup, but I hope that the reversal of fortune will linger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home