Monday, April 16, 2012

Scott Parker, I Feel Your Pain

The torque of the cosmos was apparent this afternoon, leaning on my tender soul with overtones of message and meaning. I was listening to the Bryan Ferry dong Alphaville and the book at my feet was Zeroville. The uncanny was at hand. I froze. Time resumed and I reflected.I finished two books last week Bad Monkeys by Matt Ruff and Pump Six by Paolo Bacigalupi. The first one conspired to destroy my hope in literature. It failed. it also failed as literature. The second was a collection of stories by the author of The Wind-Up Girl. I liked those, well, most of them.

I also read Study in Emerald by Neil Gaiman, a story where he imagines the possibilities of Sherlock Holmes encountering the monsters of Lovecraft. Consider me unimpressed. I found it juvenile and flat. Michael Chabon was much more successful in his The Final Solution.

Then I encountered Zeroville.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home