Saturday, July 21, 2012

Aware and Awash

The slog through The Recogniitons continues. Despite being at p. 500 I can find no momentum as the density of each page, each exchange grounds me to a virtual crawl.

I had never read The Lottery by Shirley Jackson until Thursday evening. It is less haunting than simply gripping, as the story focuses on our ancient  fears and suspicions towards justice and destiny in our mass age. I thought that Suzanne Collins should be pelted with copies of the story.

I also read HHhH by Laurent Binet, a fictional treatment of the life and assassination  of Rinehard Heydrich. It was compelling but uneven. Strange enough, Binet found the voice of history in Vollmann's sweeping Europe Central.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home