Saturday, September 08, 2012

Cement Garden

Marshaling evidence is weary work. It is taking some time to convince myself that I don't care for Fantasy, high literary or otherwise. I truly loved two novel from China Mieville but the rest is beyond rubbish. It is white men  speaking gravely: insert your partisan jokes here.

I took a detour and read the above mentioned novella from Ian McAbre. A breezy peek into disorder, McEwan triumphs with creating a disturbing situation appear rather normal, good intentioned and, practically, inevitable. As I said elsewhere, it isn't Lord of the Flies, but Graham Greene's The Desctructors which is a carnage cousin to The Cement Garden. We don't see man go all feral, but rather an industrial process is underway, oblivious to observation. The reader squirms.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home