Thursday, December 23, 2004

an icy detour

Braving the snow-choked streets my wife and I went for a lengthy stroll through a the city, cadaverously mute, it was an interesting perspective on the dormant polis. Upon return I elected to take a break from the Foote, picking up a volume by Gogol and rereading The Overcoat for the fifith time, I believe. this summer i read a Cultural History of St Petersburg by Solomon Volkov with some firends and it was the positioning of Gogol as the incarnate of the Petersburg mythos which was so captivating. The 30 page story is both nightmarish and yet riddled with humor. It remains an encapsulation of bureaucrats everywhere, though its wanderign glances along the breadth of Mother Rus is singular in its bile. The story was completed with the abrupt pallor that concludes the life the maligned copyist and i was pleased with the opportunity to revisit such mastery.

1 Comments:

Blogger edward parish said...

My favorite Gogol is The Cloak. I first read this oh so many years ago when I found a book titled Best Russian Short Stories by Thomas Seltzer. Published in 1917 it is loaded with great short stories that remain fresh to this day. Happy Holidays Jon & Natasha

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home