Monday, January 03, 2005

Stitched with Groans

It appears that I have aptly survived the holiday impasse and have lapsed into a joyous forced march through various matters. Augmenting my reading of the Foote Narrative, the wife and I rented the entire Ken Burns Civil War on dvd from Wild and Wooly. It has proven to be an enagaging supplement and i am pleased to have spent the time with such, though I found the characterization of several figures, notably Jackson and Forrest, their reputations have been buffed for a broader appeal, in my opinion.

The Tolstoy was reread with its solitary grace. Mortality finds its form as a damp sack and found several of the passages quite sage. As I placed the book down, it was not a surpise that sleep was elusive. Twenty minutes melted away as the rain began an unexpected volley which, I admit, frightened me. I turned on the light and read more from the Foote. It is strange now , after having viewed the Ken Burns, that Foote's prose appears draped with the author's avuncular propriety.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home