Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Hope

I have embarked. My reading has swept into Rory Stewart's The Places In Between. Much like the mythic origins of the Marathon, the fabled messenger falling over dead after delivering the grisly news of the Persians arrival upon Helena and, oh yeah, running for two straight days. well, the narrative from Stewart begins strong, just after the fall of the Taliban and Afghanistan's Security Apparatus informs him that the task of walking the length of the countery is in essence suicide. It was there that I had a recollection, one which found fruition in the actual reference to Krakauer's Into The Wild, actually a fellow journalist chides Stewart with the fate of the young white bread, seeking authentic experience and devoured by wolves in the Alaskan tundra. There i a reference 70 or so pages later to Bruce Chatwin. It is odd that in that December of 2001 I read two books on my trip back from Sweden: The Last King of Scotland by Giles Foden and Songlines by Chatwin. I find it daunting to ponder what I would of thought of Stewart during those days.

I have also been considering the ternal, what next? I may read Little Dorrit. I am going on a massive book campaign to Indianapolis in about ten days and this may well affect my best laid plans. Alas, the iron remains hot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home