Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Aftermath

A decade back I read Gravity's Rainbow for the first time and then the newly published Mason and Dixon; immediately afterwards I picked up Shame by Salman Rushdie. I finished the novel but was struck by a variety of vertigo, this shift in perspective, if not talent, was disorienting to the maximum. I finished Against The Day on Sunday and as I have spent diurnal element of the week considering, what it all means, I read Voyage Along The Horizon during the evenings. This first novel by Javier Marias was a gift from The Believer. While it contains enormous promise, I admit to not having read any other novels by Mr. Marias, it falls prey to its own Sterneity, echoing the Tristram Shandy in never reaching its subject, Zeno and Alan Partridge heavenly entwined.
I want to write on Pynchon but that will wait. It has been a long day, the sky is rife with sun and I hope to stroll. My reading for now will be Dickens and the Ackroyd biography of London, to which i treated myself this afternoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home