Sunday, November 09, 2008

Gurgle, Gurgle

It is odd that I sat down to post about Dostoevsky, specifically the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation of Crime and Punishment, I was going to ponder my layman's appreciation of the difference between the Garrett and this modern , nuanced fluidity. I opened my email to discover a question from my friend Frank about Rabelais. I responded that the Modern Library edition, which I bought from Harold during Clinton's first term, had always struck me as vibrant and accessible, though I can't remember the name of said translator for the life of me.

I suppose I shouldn't lament how a sea change of historic proportion disrupted my entire reading week of holiday. I have concluded Part One of the Dostoevsky and am awaiting word from Samizdat when we shall enter the Borislav Pekic. I also rec'd word that my copy of Bolano's 2666 has shipped.

1 Comments:

Blogger Levi Stahl said...

I find myself in the same boat when reading Pevear and Volokhonsky: it's hard to articulate--and harder to defend, because I don't read Russian--but their translations feel livelier, more effective. I know that Chad Post isn't a big fan of their work, though, and he knows more about translations than I do.

As for 2666, I just spent the morning on a draft of a review. Still not sure I got at what's so impressive about the book, but I'm about to go back to it and take another hack.

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home