Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Slow Week

The reading quest has went aground, at least I have slowed in both the Pekic and the bolano. Encouraged by a blip of activity on samizdat, I read five chapters and then sought solace in the silence which has prevailed.

My reading of 2666 was gripped by an acknowledgement. Carrying ikea bags of books up two flights of stairs and then methodically positioning them on shelves is very therapeutic for me, although I have since become aware that there are a number of minor books which I should discard. The other glaring realization is that, unlike the quartet of critics in the Bolano, there isn't a single author that I love and embrace at the expense of others. I suppose Gunter Grass would be as possible, perhaps Nabokov as well.

Through my wife's work, she was given an amazon gift card which she dearly passed onto me. It appears that I will buy the new Pelevin and the paperback War and Peace, translated by P and V.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon,
Spend the card on something else, I'll let you borrow my hardback "War and Peace" if you want it.
Frank

7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon,
Shortly after posting the first comment I realized that you were going for a specific translation of "War and Peace" I believe the words of the great philosopher Emily Littela(SNL) come to mind at this time "Oh.....Nevermind"
Frank

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home