Tuesday, December 23, 2008

My Year

Our buying a house this year sent matters into a spin, at least during the summer. As ice continues to fall from the sky and I think of Orwell, my glances survey our cozy abode and I am pleased with our tree and my pint of stout. I suppose that 2666 and Life: A Users Manual were the zenith of my reading. I would place samizdat heavyweights Postwar by Tony Judt and History of Histories by John Burrows in those ranks as well. I suppose there was an element of me that wanted to dislike the Bolano, I simply couldn't nor can't imagine an objection. I attribute disappointment to the Burrows concerns samizdat and not Dr. Burrows.

Redemption Falls by Joseph O'Connor and Black Mass by John Gray both proved to be remarkable fun. I will likely imagine moving in as sweating profusely only to pause, read a novel by W.G. Sebald and then resume lifting, hauling and sweating. I read three novels by J.M. Coetzee in a little over a month and i am grateful.

There is much left to attend and discuss.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home