Saturday, June 05, 2010

A Simple Soreness

Thursday evening I finished White Chappell, Scarlet Tracings by Sinclair. It was an evening which appeared eager to enhance and please. The choice bits of the novel weren't concerned with the Ripper or the cabala, instead it was the ambrosia of buying used books, the gamble, the dust, the dipshits blocking the aisle. I went to a sale with my good friend Edward from Bedford last night. It was a sauna and the place was choked with ebay hyenas, mercenaries who don't know anything of literature, only resale prices. My arm is sore today from toting a dozen books as i cleared the score or so tables.

Sunrise struck me eager and I was at the local library's sale and what a bounty was found at hand! The Wandering Scholars by Helen Waddell has been coveted for almost a decade and there it was for a quarter. I also found a replacement copy of the 10 and 1/2 Chapters from Julian Barnes as well as a collection of Kipling's stories of the macabre and supernatural with a curious one page introduction from Neil Gaiman.

1 Comments:

Blogger Levi Stahl said...

I'd never heard of The Wandering Scholars, but now you've intrigued me enough that I'll be seeking it out, too.

And I almost bought that very volume of Kipling last week at my local bookstore. It's a nice-looking package, and how often do you go wrong choosing to read some Kipling short stories? I may just have to go back and get it after all.

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home