Sunday, August 20, 2006

Books I have bought

As I have noted previously, I don't think much of Nick Hornby as a novelist nor as a near self-imposed culture mave in the arid land between Literature and popular music, that said, his collum Polysyllabic Spree is always what I read first in The Believer. The detours amongst what he plans to read, what he buys and what he actually devours are an odd mirror to my meanderings, much like what I fathom this blog as yielding.

That said, my wife and braved the rains and went north to Bloomington yesterday. We bought six books. the first two at the Monroe County Library and the others at Caveat Emptor.

1) The Sea Lion by Jack London
2) Questions of Bruno by A. Hemon
3) Don't Die Before You're Dead by Y Yetuvshenko
4)Where The Air is Clear by C Fuentes
5) The Adventures and Misadventures of Maqroll by Alvaro Mutis
6) Garden, Ashes by D. Kis

I have read both the Hemon (loaned by Ed - thanks) and the Yevtushenko before. N bought the Kis for me as well as the Fuentes, since we don't have either in English and it is the Fuentes novel she wrote her thesis paper on in Spanish Lit class back in beograd. The latest Believer has a fascinating article on London and I thought about giving him a try; incidentally, I bought the Sea-Wolf for Joel for xmas in 1992. Allow me to sigh on that memory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home