Sunday, January 07, 2007

Continuity and Carlysle

Sometimes the blending is succesful. It isn't very often and there is usually elements of compromise. It has to be that way. Otherwise, suspicions of autism would ensue. I am reading Discovery of Heaven by Mulisch. Despite its otherwolrdly premise, it is truly engaging, yielding a depth of ideas matched by a sense of wamrth, of human meaning that I didn't imagine. It also exists under the aegis of the War, much as all of Mulisch must. I was going to spend the day with Children of Men by P.D. James. Not a typical author for me, nor genre. Ed loaned it to me unexpectedly. I am grateful. I read the first 30 pages and was transfixed. It also has Clive Owen on the cover. It is always a plus. I don't use the word Vulpine enough, eh? I had thought that I would read it on Sunday, that is today, as I like to read entire books ina ingle day. well, I blew that possibility by diving into it the other evening and then I discovered (wink) The Discovery and then I realized that today is Christmas in the Orthodx faith (insert pun and irony HERE) and I was uncertain as to whether that precluded going to the cinema, apparently it does and it is a nice quiet, rainy afternoon and I may well swich gears to absorb the apocalyptic fare, which in contrast to McCarthy's The Road is, well, so English and remarkably placid. It would be cool to read both of these books together.

1 Comments:

Blogger edward parish said...

New format, I like it!

Blue state?

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home