Wednesday, July 08, 2009

The Shipwrecked

I finished England Made Me yesterday and I was left in a shudder of deft appreciation. Greene again displayed a talent for filling out a minor character, somewhat late in the narrative whose motivations offer a symbolism for the dynamic at large.

The biography finds Greene's conversion to Catholicism complete, his work as a strike breaker at The Times and his second courtship of the disastrous Vivien. His daily productivity in writing is explored by Sherry without any real context, only excerpts from his own letters which are certainly objective.

There was pause in the afternoon yesterday where i considered simply rereading the landmark Greene novels which I have enjoyed before. I am glad I reconsidered. The Human Factor is proving amazing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home