Saturday, September 03, 2005

Some Thoughts

A society in which neither riches nor poverty is a member regularly produces sterling characters, as it has no place for violence and wrong, nor yet for rivalry and envy. --Plato

That citation arouses benign thought of Suttree and now of New Orleans. I am not sure whether McCarthy and I would find ground more much agreement. I do appear to know the Crescent City with a certain intimacy. I was unable to read much there nor was sleep easy to find. I did buy a few books in the Quarter and I ponder my present headcold, my own muted ageing, my frustrations with totemic indifference.

I read Homage To Catalonia last week and following the Borgesian twist, it was appropriate for just this time. My days as of late, when not suffering from either my cold or its treatement have, been with Vollman's abridgement of Rising up, Rising Down. there is much to be said of honor these days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home